Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Hoosier Time

This past weekend, Troy was a great sport to accompany Silas and I to Indiana for what was originally going to be a reunion with some of my physical therapy school roommates, but turned into seeing high school, undergraduate, and adoptive friends as well.  It was a very busy weekend, but there is nothing like catching up with great friends.  I love how it’s so easy to pick up right where you left off with good friends you haven’t seen for some time.   God has definitely blessed me with great friendships at each stage of my life. 

 

July2011 075

July2011 074 

We started off the weekend at the above cutie’s house!   Her mom, Susan,  and I were roommates where I completed my undergraduate degree.  The cool thing about the cutie above is that she and Silas came home on the same plane together from Ethiopia.  Talk about a God story.  Yes, her parents were called to adopt from Ethiopia as well although they used a different agency.  They got their referral months before we got ours for Silas, yet we traveled at the same time.  So two girls who met in college, who ended up becoming roommates, who moved to separate cities after college, who both felt called to adopt from the same country, had their children come home at the exact same time.  ONLY God above could have orchestrated that.  I love it!

July2011 082

Next stop was to spend the night with two of my PT school roommates(in picture above) and their kiddos(Troy opted to stay at a hotel:).  From left to right you have Silas and I, Nicole with her daughter & son(on far right in the orange shirt), and Maureen with her two boys on her lap.  Maureen was a great hostess and we did lots of what we always did best in PT school, EAT!  Let’s see, I think there was consumption of homemade bruschetta, homemade salsa/chips, monkey bread, cookies, etc…  We definitely didn’t go hungry.  This was the first time I have seen these girls since our wedding almost eight years ago.   What a blessing to reconnect if only for a short time. I was able to capture a few pictures of the kids below:

July2011 077 

July2011 078

July2011 079

July2011 081

 

We then headed over to the Alexander family’s house.  They are a beautiful family that we met during our adoption of Silas. They used the same agency as us, and they brought their twin daughters home from Ethiopia shortly after we came home with Silas.  They have three biological sons, their two adopted daughters from Ethiopia, and they are in the process of adopting again from Uganda.  This couple is making some amazing sacrifices in order to bring more children into their home, and we are truly blessed to know them. 

July2011 085 

Beautiful girls!

July2011 086

Silas enjoyed the sno-cones AND the sandbox at the Alexander’s house.  It was fun times washing his hair that night:)

July2011 087

She wanted me to capture a picture of her blue tongue!

July2011 089

Silas enjoyed the activities Tisha had for him to do!

We left the Alexander’s and spend the night in a hotel. On Sunday, we woke and headed to the Children’s Museum of Indianaopolis where we met up with one of my childhood friends and her family.  We enjoyed the museum for about three hours before having lunch and heading back home.  We could have easily stayed all day because the exhibits were wonderful.  I captured a few pictures below:

July2011 057

July2011 058

July2011 059

July2011 061

July2011 062

July2011 064

 

So that wraps up our weekend. We got back home Sunday evening.  Silas was pretty exhausted but he napped for much of the car ride home which was great!  As I have reflected on the events of the weekend, I realize that I am one very blessed individual!

Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13

1 comment:

Ron & Maria said...

Amazing God story of you and your roommate returning from Ethiopia on the same flight!

Looks like a very beautiful weekend!