Saturday, November 12, 2011

Blessed by HIS little feet

Wow!  It has been a whirlwind of a week, but I wouldn’t trade it for anything.  We were blessed to be able to host two amazing Ethiopian boys, Eyob and Yohannes, and a staff member, Kourtney, in our home this week.  Eyob and Yohannes are members of the HIS little feet International Children’s Choir which is comprised of 14 children, ages 6-12, from Ethiopia and Honduras.  The choir travels the United States being the voice for orphaned and vulnerable children worldwide.  We were so humbled to have them perform at our church this past week.  We had SO many families moved by their performance, and it was amazing to witness God at work.  Troy and I have been contacted by a handful of friends that are now considering adoption after hosting and/or attending the performance.  My heart is FILLED with joy to see the hearts of Christians being stirred to answer God’s call to care for the orphan. 

Back to our ‘friends’ as Silas kept calling them all week, Eyob and Yohannes were such a joy to have in our home. They are 12 and 10 years old respectively, and they are biological brothers.  They speak limited English, but we always managed to communicate(often with the help of the staff member).  They had the sweetest accents, and I LOVED when they would pray before our meals in Amharic.  They interacted well with Silas, and Silas was so intrigued by them.  Troy had a great idea to pick up lots of injera for them at a local Ethiopian market, and I already had berbere so meal times were a hit! Let me just say those boys can put away some injera, berbere, hot sauce, and ketchup!  I also loved watching them play with toys they have probably never seen before(a favorite was Silas’ Leap Frog Tag Junior reading system) as well playing multiple games of foosball.  Finally, the hugs I got multiple times a day just melted my heart! 

 

november 2011 006

Silas & Eyob

november 2011 014

Yohannes enjoying the treadmill…he even worked up a sweat but was smiling the entire time!

november 2011 012

This is the only picture we got of Kourtney and Silas took it so it’s a bit blurry. She was so sweet, and she was so mature in her faith to be so young.  She comes from a family of 10 children, 4 of whom are adopted.  I just love that!

november 2011 008

Eyob pushing Silas.  Too sweet!

november 2011 011

The foosball table was a definite favorite.  They played it A LOT!

november 2011 013

They also enjoyed the elliptical machine.  I just wish I enjoyed exercising that much:)

november 2011 015

One final picture of Silas & Eyob.  I am so glad Silas got to have this experience, and I couldn’t help but think a few times over the course of the week that he could be like one of the children in the choir waiting for a Christ centered family had we not been obedient to God’s call to adopt.  It was very humbling to think about.  Each one of those fourteen children is beautiful and perfectly created in God’s image.  They have left a permanent imprint on my heart, and I will continue to pray that their family will step forward soon!  You can check out the choir’s schedule here(http://www.hislittlefeet.org/Tour_Schedule_November_2011.html ), and I would strongly recommend you attend their performance and possibly host some of these sweet children if they are going to be in your area.  My only warning is to prepare to have your socks blessed off!

No comments: