Saturday, September 24, 2011

Empowered To Connect

Troy and I had the opportunity to attend the Empowered to Connect Conference that was held in our area yesterday and today.  I am always excited to learn more in regards to adoption and parenting, and I was blown away by the information that was presented at this conference.  Dr. Karyn Purvis, the director of the TCU Institute of Child Development, was the primary speaker, and I can’t put into words the amazing impact she has had on hundreds of children’s lives.   Her love for children and the Lord radiates out of her, and she is one of those women people are just naturally drawn to.

Troy and I had our eyes opened in regards to our parenting style, and we learned some practical strategies that we can start implementing right away.  My undergraduate degree is in Biology so I was also intrigued by the fact that everything that was presented is supported by scientific research:) Dr. Purvis has authored a book, The Connected Child, which has helped numerous families that have brought home children from hard places.  I haven’t read it yet, but it has been added to my growing list of books to read. If you are considering or have foster parented or adopted, the recommended resources from the conference website may be helpful to you.  They are available at this link:  http://empoweredtoconnect.org/resources/   I am hoping they will bless you as much as we have been blessed these past two days!

No comments: